Organizing A Dressage Competition
6/8 Weeks Prior At A Meeting
- Appoint an Event Secretary/Co-ordinator
- Programme drawn up and distributed to appropriate Clubs/Branches etc (Closing date for Entries should be at least 1 week prior to Competition)
- Appoint the following Convenors -
- Judges Convenor - Enlists number of Judges required - Check they have test (s) and starting times.
- Writers Convenor - Enlists number of writers required and ensures they know to be there 15 minutes before start of Class (Writers should only write for ½ a day)
- Runners/Gate Convenor - One runner per 2 - 3 arenas, ½ day only. (Gate attendants only required for Championships Classes)
- Catering Convenor - needs to ensure that required number of members know to bring a plate.
- Gear Inspector and assistant.
- Working Bee Co-ordinator - organize appropriate number of helpers to erect arenas and to take them down.
Event Secretary/Co-Ordinator Needs To -
- Liase with Convenors
- Order Ribbons/Rosettes
- Order appropriate Dressage Blocks
- Organize Office Front Person - must have knowledge of the Event so can answer queries and sort out problems.
- Organize Scorers
- Be responsible on the day i.e. ensure everyone knows what they are doing
After the Closing date - Event Secretary will be responsible for the Draw -
- Start by drawing (allotting times) for riders with more than one horse
- Allow 20mins clear for am/pm Tea and approx. 45mins for Lunch
- Times are on Tests - add 2 minutes
One/Two Days Before -
- Working Bee to erect Arenas
- Ensure Arenas are numbered correctly
- Dressage Area rope off 15m from Arenas.
- Ensure paper work is organized.
- Class lists for Judges, Gear Check
On the Day
- 1 hour before start - Open office
- 20 mins before start - Gear check in place
- 5 mins before start - All Judges & riders in position
- Check Scorers know format required
- Check "Time" is noted (marked on scoresheet) when final results for each Class are posted.